EMC Hears Dell's Footsteps
Many need to put storage systems in place to create an electronic paper trail for lawsuits and other regulatory matters as well as for data backup and retrieval in the event of a physical disruption, says Simon Robinson, director of storage market research for the technology analysis firm 451 Group.
"Small- and medium-sized businesses are facing the same sorts of data growth, storage and management issues that larger enterprises are facing," Robinson says.
EqualLogic's products run on a newer storage technology called Internet SCS, or iSCSI, that appeals to smaller firms because it runs on their existing computer networks. Traditional storage technology, called Fiber Channel, runs on a separate network and requires a different set of skills and expertise to manage.Dell doesn't resell EMC's iSCSI products. The market for iSCSI technology is still small compared to the overall amount spent on storage, but it's one of the fastest-growing segments of the industry. According to data research firm IDC, the iSCSI market swelled by over 57% in the second quarter, reaching $191 million. During first nine months of the year, EqualLogic had revenue of $91 million, a 34% increase over its total 2006 sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV