Monday's Winners & Losers: Marvel
Updated from 2:11 p.m. EST with new stock prices
Shares of Marvel Entertainment (MVL) were among the NYSE's winners Monday, soaring 16.2% after the entertainment company blew past Wall Street's third-quarter profit targets.
Marvel posted third-quarter earnings of $36.3 million, or 45 cents a share, on sales of $123.6 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected a profit of 28 cents a share and sales of $90.5 million. The company attributed the performance to strength in its licensing business, particularly for Spider-Man 3 merchandise.
For the full year, Marvel now sees earnings of $1.60 to $1.65 a share, above its prior view of $1.30 to $1.55. The company lifted its sales forecast for the year to $455 million to $475 million from a prior range of $375 million to $435 million. Wall Street projects full-year earnings of $1.44 a share and sales of $431 million. Shares of Marvel were jumping $3.77 to $27.08.American Financial Realty Trust (AFR) and Alfa Corp. (ALFA) also saw big gains after each agreed to buyouts. Gramercy Capital (GKK) agreed to acquire American Financial for $5.50 a share in cash and 0.12096 shares of Gramercy stock. Including debt, the deal is valued at $3.4 billion. Gramercy, a unit of New York office owner SL Green (SLG), expects to own approximately 27 million square feet of commercial real estate in 37 states after the deal. Shares of American Financial were up $1.61 to $8.06, while Gramercy shares were up 11 cents to $24.33.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV