Asian Markets A Sea of Red
Still, the slide in equity prices comes amid voracious deal making. China National Chemical offered A$2.96 billion, or $2.71 billion, for Australian agricultural chemical giant Nufarm (NUF), enlisting U.S. buyout funds Blackstone (BX) and Fox Paine. That would be the largest joint purchase of a foreign-owned firm by a Chinese company and a U.S. private equity house to date.
Toyota (TM) fared poorly, down 4%, to 6,480 yen, while banks Mizuho Financial (MFG) and Mitsubishi UFJ (MTU) plunged on renewed global subprime jitters. Mizuho lost 5.74%, to 607,000 yen, and Mitsubishi UFJ plummeted for the second day running, by 5.98%, to 1,052 yen.
That's bad news for the iShares Japan Index (EWJ) ETF, which is invested 15.8% across those 6 companies.The yen strengthened sharply in Asian trading, to 114.59 vs the dollar, against yesterday's price of 115.79. The week's high price dampens recent speculation by many that the yen carry trade may be back in favor as a source of extra capital to regional markets. In Korea, the government pension fund, which manages $235 billion in assets, is starting a $22 billion fund to invest in oil and gas assets, it announced this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV