Western Digital Tops Estimates
The company's gross margin improved 1.1 percentage points to 18.3% from the same quarter a year ago thanks to better pricing, cost controls and a shift in sales toward higher-priced drives. This level of profitability falls within the company's long-term target range of 15% to 20%.
Average hard drive selling prices were approximately $59 per unit, an increase of $3 from the same quarter last year and $4 from the previous quarter.
Coyne said the factors affecting pricing and demand should remain in tact in the foreseeable future. Inventories of 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch drives are 11% lower compared to this time last year, he said.
Coyne also noted that large Japanese competitors, namely Hitachi (HIT), appear to be focusing on improving profitability, rather than churning out drives to gain market share, which undercuts prices industry-wide.Western Digital expects its average selling price to remain at their current level in the seasonally weak December quarter. The company forecasted second-quarter earnings of 73 cents to 77 cents a share, excluding one-time items, on revenue of $1.875 billion and $1.925 billion. These estimates exceed analysts' consensus earnings forecast of 57 cents a share on revenue of $1.77 billion. In late trading, shares had recently surged 79 cents, over 3%, to $26.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV