Avanex (AVNX) swung to profit, beating targets, and guided in line for the current quarter.
The Fremont, Calif., optical networking system maker posted an adjusted profit of $2.1 million, or a penny a share, for its fiscal first quarter ended in September. Those numbers compare to a pro forma net loss of $7 million or 3 cents a share in the year-ago period.
Sales for the quarter were $54.7 million, up 7% sequentially and 7% on a year-over-year comparison. Analysts had expected the company to break even on an adjusted basis with $54.1 million in sales for the fiscal first quarter, according to Yahoo! Finance.
"The first quarter was an outstanding quarter for the company," CEO Jo Major, said in a press release. "We are positioned well for profitable growth and to take advantage of growing bandwidth demand," Major continued.Looking ahead, Avanex expects sales of about $57 million in the fiscal second quarter ending in December, squarely in line with analysts' estimates. Avanex shares surged 13 cents to $1.86 and networking rival JDS Uniphase (JDSU) rose 15 cents to $14.81 in after-hours trading Thursday. Meanwhile, optical parts making peer Bookham (BKHM) closed down 12 cents at $2.87.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV