Citi's Fat Cats Take a Drubbing in Decline
BOSTON -- Wall Street firms encourage the top brass to own equity in order to align their interests with those of ordinary stockholders. It's good to know the system works -- even if, so far, the main result is the satisfaction of knowing that the big shots are feeling your pain.
Take Citigroup (C), where board members and senior management are losing big money as the bank's deepening crisis sends its shares into freefall.
Their total losses on stock and options this year? Nearly half a billion dollars.
That's right. Thirty board members and top executives have seen nearly $500 million wiped off the value of their shares and options.Even for Citigroup's well-heeled head honchos, this is a lot of dough. And it shows that anyone who believes the wealthy can be wholly insulated from the knock-on effects of the subprime meltdown is dreaming. The news comes at fears of writedowns and mounting losses sent the stock plummeting to a fresh four-year low. The figures on personal losses at the top of the bank come from an analysis of Citigroup's public filings. They include a $52 million loss suffered just by Mr. Establishment himself -- executive committee chairman Bob Rubin, Bill Clinton's former Treasury Secretary and a leading figure in the Democratic Party.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV