Altria Fires Up Cigar Business
Altria Group (MO) is puffing up its tobacco business to include cigars.
The owner of the Philip Morris tobacco behemoth said Thursday that it agreed to buy John Middleton, a maker of machine-made cigars, for $2.9 billion in cash.
John Middleton makes cigars under the Black & Mild name, the second-biggest-selling cigar brand in the U.S., according to Altria. The company's operating revenue is expected to reach $360 million in 2007.
The purchase comes as Altria is preparing to spin off its international tobacco division in hopes that it will be able to grow more quickly without the legal battles and regulatory headaches faced in the U.S. over cigarettes. Altria, whose cigarette brands include Parliament and Marlboro, said the cigar deal will enhance its long-term growth in the U.S. market."The acquisition is both strategically compelling and financially attractive," said Michael Szymanczyk, chairman and CEO of Philip Morris USA. "It fits squarely with our announced strategy to grow our U.S. tobacco business beyond cigarettes and complements our recent initiatives in the smokeless category." John Middleton, based in Pennsylvania, is currently owned by privately held Bradford Holdings. The deal is expected to close by the end of the year. Shares of Altria recently were down 7 cents to $72.86.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV