Pharmion's Loss Widens, but Sales Rise
Pharmion (PHRM) reported a third-quarter loss Wednesday, but revenue beat expectations and the company raised full-year guidance.
The company reported a net loss of $21.4 million, or 58 cents a share, compared with a loss of $3.6 million, or 11 cents a share in the year-ago quarter.
Pharmion's quarter included a charge of $8 million for a milestone payment triggered by the acceptance of its marketing application for cancer drug Satraplatin by the European Medicines Agency.
Net sales were $67.3 million, compared with $61.6 million in the year-ago quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial estimated a loss of 43 cents a share on revenue of $66.4 million.Pharmion raised its 2007 revenue guidance to $265 million to $270 million, from a prior range of $250 million to $260 million. Worldwide sales of Vidaza, an injection for myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), totaled $42.3 million in the third quarter of 2007, compared with $36.6 million in the same quarter of 2006. The company said it's on track to file for accelerated approval for Vidaza in Europe by year-end. Shares closed Wednesday up 83 cents, or 1.8%, at $48.12, but were down $1.12, or 2.3%, to $47 in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV