Closed-End Funds Still Scary-Cheap
Is the recovery in closed-end funds a trick or a treat?
This summer's credit crisis severely spooked closed-end fund investors, frightening many right out of their holdings and into the relative safety of Treasury bonds. Discounts were stretched during the selling storm, as fund managers unceasingly unloaded their CEFs until the Federal Reserve saved the day with a surprise 50 basis point reduction of its discount rate.
The market has steadied since then, but
TheStreet.com checked in with Dr. Richard Shaker, portfolio manager of
Based in Annapolis, Md., Shaker manages $77 million in assets, employing various closed-end fund trading strategies, most notably discount mean reversion. Shaker's composite managed accounts were up 17% for the year (as of Oct. 26), compared to the S&P 500, which returned just below 10%.TheStreet.com: Quant funds had a terrible August. You use a quantitative approach in trading closed-end funds. Were you affected? Shaker: Mid-July through mid-August was hard. Although the classical quant funds like Goldman and Renaissance had severe difficulties the week of Aug. 6, our darkest days were Aug. 15 and 16, when there was massive liquidation of CEFs, many opening down 10%. CEFs as a class significantly underperformed the market during this period, yet somehow we came through it with performance no worse than all the relevant market indices during July and August.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV