Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Smith & Wesson (SWHC) was among the biggest small-cap losers in a down session Tuesday, plummeting some 40% on disappointing preliminary results.
The Springfield, Mass., gunmaker cut its year-over-year revenue growth prediction by at least 20 percentage points to between 36% and 40%, meaning total sales of $69 million to $71 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial are looking for $82.4 million. Income should range between 5 cents and 7 cents a share, at least a nickel below the mean. Shares were falling $7.92 to $12.17.
Laser-eye surgery outfit LCA-Vision (LCAV) tumbled 32.7% after predicting that fourth-quarter income will be "significantly below" last year's 27 cents a share, which effectively pushes full-year guidance well below the prior forecast of $1.90 to $2 a share. Cincinnati-based LCA cited an "uncertain business environment."
Third-quarter earnings were in line, but shares traded down $9.19 to $18.92, which helped give a black eye to both the Russell 2000 -- which also tracks Smith & Wesson -- and the S&P SmallCap 600. The sector trackers were off 0.3% and 0.2%, respectively.Wellman (WLM) stock booked spectacular losses in heavy trading after the maker of resins and polyester staple fibers said it hired Lazard Freres, "an investment bank with extensive experience in chemical M&A transactions," in order to explore strategic alternatives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV