Where to Invest as the Dollar Loses Value
The following is a transcript of "
Hello and welcome to Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life.
Today's topic: Dollars and anti-dollars.
Last week, the price of gold reached a 27-year high. So why is it so high? What's up with the price of gold?
Why Is Gold Going Up?The price of gold tends to go up when the value of the dollar goes down and vice versa. This relationship is the reason that gold has been called the "anti-dollar." Gold offers protection against inflation and is considered to be a safe store of wealth during times of currency devaluation. When individual as well as institutional investors are worried about the value of the dollar going down, they tend to invest more of their money in gold. So, the demand for gold goes up when confidence in the U.S. dollar goes down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV