Vertex Posts Wider Loss
Vertex (VRTX) reported a wider loss after the market close Monday as it steps away from research-based collaborations and funnels more money into its midstage program for Hepatitis C drug telaprevir.
The Cambridge, Mass.-based company reported a net loss of $107 million, or 82 cents a share, for the quarter, compared to a loss of $51.8 million, or 46 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Before items, the company reported a loss of $93.2 million, or 72 cents a share, compared to a loss of $47.9 million, or 42 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were anticipating a loss of 73 cents.
Vertex said revenue for the quarter was $41 million, compared to $53.3 million in the year-ago period, attributing the drop to a loss of revenue from research-based collaborations.
The company also said that a research and development hike to $128.9 million in the 2007 quarter from $96.1 million in the 2006 period was primarily due to development investment to support a global phase IIb clinical development program for telaprevir.Looking ahead, Vertex reiterated its full-year guidance of a loss of $360 million to $390 million, or in the range of $300 million to $330 million on a non-GAAP basis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV