Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks generally traded beneath the major indices for most of the day, although the Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600 were both recently up around 0.1%.
Among the individual winners was BluePhoenix Solutions (BPHX), which vaulted 13% after the Israel-based information-technology company said non-GAAP earnings surged 50% to 18 cents a share, or $3.4 million, in the third quarter. That tops Thomson Financial's estimates by a penny a share. Revenue surged 34.1% to a better-than-expected $23 million. Shares gained $2.48 to $21.49.
China's e-Future Information Technology (EFUT) also had a sharp rise after announcing that its ONE Visual Process Management system was "successfully" launched in Sino Rubber Electronic Exchange. Shares were soaring 22.8% to $25.45.
And Arizona Star Resource (AZS) jumped 22.8% on word Barrick Gold (ABX) will offer to buy the Canada-based gold-and-copper miner for $811.1 million (C$773 million) in cash, or roughly $18.89 a share. Arizona Star was changing hands at $18.70. Barrick climbed $1.01, or 2.4%, to $44.06.But Champion Enterprises (CHB) slid 11.7% after the housing company proposed to offer $130 million in convertible senior bonds. The underwriter, Credit Suisse, will have an option for another $19.5 million worth in order to cover overallotments. Champion says proceeds will, among other things, go to repurchasing $82.3 million in outstanding senior bonds due 2009. A tender offer for those was also launched this morning. Shares were off $1.52 at $11.52.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV