Don't Play Family Feud With Your Business
Take a long look at your family's idiosyncrasies. Now add to them the stresses of a nascent business. If the snapshot looks worse than Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws, you may want to reconsider a family business.
When working with family members, the highs and lows of a typical small business will be amplified, says Nick Romeo, who works with his father at their Tennessee-based company Romeo Advertising.
82 million people -- 62% of the workforce -- are employed by family enterprises according to the latest research from the Family Business Review in 2003. Even big names like Koss Corp. (KOSS) and Yuengling are family-run. But before you and your next of kin jump on the bandwagon, rigorously investigate family member's strengths and weaknesses and imagine them amplified. "Is this something you can deal with?" asks Romeo.
More Than Milk Money
Thought arguing over who gets a bigger allowance was bad? Try it now that you're all grown up and in business.
Expect disagreements about payment to come up. "I run the company and my sister's husband does most of the labor," says Lisa Elliott of TG Elliott Associates, a New York subcontracting construction firm. "There are times that my sister would charge me for eight hours of her husband's overtime pay when he should have been paid [less]."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV