Don't Play Family Feud With Your Business
Take a long look at your family's idiosyncrasies. Now add to them the stresses of a nascent business. If the snapshot looks worse than Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws, you may want to reconsider a family business.
When working with family members, the highs and lows of a typical small business will be amplified, says Nick Romeo, who works with his father at their Tennessee-based company
82 million people -- 62% of the workforce -- are employed by family enterprises according to the latest research from the Family Business Review in 2003. Even big names like Koss Corp. (KOSS) and Yuengling are family-run. But before you and your next of kin jump on the bandwagon, rigorously investigate family member's strengths and weaknesses and imagine them amplified. "Is this something you can deal with?" asks Romeo.
More Than Milk Money
Thought arguing over who gets a bigger allowance was bad? Try it now that you're all grown up and in business.
Expect disagreements about payment to come up. "I run the company and my sister's husband does most of the labor," says Lisa Elliott of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV