Feuerstein's Biotech-Stock Mailbag
I missed my appointed rounds by not delivering a Biotech Mailbag last week. But we're up and running again -- as always, send me your questions and comments here.
There was a buzz about Delcath Systems (DCTH) this week, which was the subject of a slew of emails. Among those, Adam H. asks:
"I'm sure you know about the stock, and I'm sure you have read the story, but I think a perfect candidate for your mailbag would be a story highlighting the [National Cancer Institute] vs. the FDA. The NCI has affirmed changes that have been implemented into the trial protocol, but still, the FDA asked for a temporary halt on new enrollments."
Here's some background: Delcath is testing a system that uses catheters and filters to deliver chemotherapy directly to the liver without allowing the toxic chemicals to reach the rest of the body. This Percutaneous Hepatic Perfusion (PHP) system is being tested in phase II and phase III clinical trials, some of which are being sponsored and conducted by the National Cancer Institute.On Oct. 11, Delcath announced that its phase III trial was highlighted as the "Featured Clinical Trial" in a recent NCI newsletter. On Oct. 23, the FDA sent Delcath a letter asking the company to halt enrollment in its clinical trials because of agency concerns over gastrointestinal side effects. Delcath claims that these GI toxicities were previously reported and disclosed to the NCI folks running the trial that changes were made in the study to prevent future events from happening, and that the NCI was OK with the study moving ahead.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV