Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:28 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Exchange-traded funds tracking Asian markets were among the best performers of Friday's winning session, following advances overseas.
Overnight, India's Sensex Index jumped 2.5%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng added 1.8% -- to a record 30,405 -- and Japan's Nikkei rose 1.4%. Other indices in China, South Korea, and Indonesia also finished higher.
The iPath MSCI India Index (INP) was recently up $4.54, or 5.8%, to $82.34. The iShares MSCI South Korea Index (EWY) was higher by $3.17, or 4.5%, to $73.12. The iShares MSCI Hong Kong Index (EWH) climbed $1.05, or 4.7%, to $23.35.An earnings beat by Microsoft (MSFT) late Thursday powered technology and software ETFs. Microsoft handily beat estimates for fiscal fourth-quarter earnings and revenue and guided higher for the next quarter and full year. Shares jumped 9.5%. Among related ETFs, the Ultra Technology ProShares (ROM) was higher by $3.68, or 4.1%, to $92.88. The Software HOLDRs (SWH) advanced by $1.23, or 2.8%, to $44.80. Bundled securities tracking the homebuilding sector were on the rise. Among individual names, Hovnanian (HOV), D.R. Horton (DHI), Lennar (LEN), Pulte Homes (PHM) and Beazer Homes (BZH) were all higher. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) was up 78 cents, or 3.8%, to $21.48. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB) was rising 64 cents, or 2.9%, to $22.92. On the other hand, the iShares Dow Jones Transportation Average (IYT) was one of the worst performers of the day. Crude oil set an intraday record of $92.22 a barrel earlier Friday before dropping again, pressuring transportation stocks across the board. Recently, the ETF was slightly up by 69 cents, or 0.7%, to $87.43.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV