Top Rocket Stocks for Earnings Week of Oct. 29
Most retail investors don't know how to fade an opening, trade a gap down or short a gap up. Nor do they care to learn how.
Due to capital constraints, time limitations or merely life getting in the way, most people simply cannot trade as frequently as necessary to make these strategies work. That is why I started writing this weekly Rocket Stocks column.
My main goal is to find stocks that can rise in the coming week, no matter how the market moves. I love to look for snapbacks, earnings plays and other trades that have real catalysts behind them.
This week's Rocket Stocks for the Week of Oct. 29-Nov. 2 portfolio focuses on snapback plays as well as earning plays.But before I make any new recommendations, let's quickly review how last week's Rocket Stock picks performed.
- Apple (AAPL) crushed earnings estimates last week and in my midweek update I recommended cashing in on the quick 10% gain.
- Amazon (AMZN) ran up 8% ahead of earnings, prompting me to recommend ringing the register this stock as well in my midweek update. That turned out to be a good move as the stock ended up sinking.
- AK Steel (AKS), up 8.5% for the week as profit quadrupled.
- Kohl's (KSS), up as much as 6% and ending the week up 3%.
- Lockheed Martin (LMT), up more than 5% at one point last week but ending with a 3% increase. The stock also made our Top Stocks With Insider Buying and Buybacks list.
- XTO Energy (XTO), up 4.5% for the week, as it reported good earnings and hedged out weak natural gas prices.
- 1-800-Flowers.com (FLWS), down 1.2% for the week.
- F5 Networks (FFIV) was totally killed, down 20% for the week on lowered guidance and the departure of a senior sales chief. Ugh.
- Zimmer Holdings (ZMH) shocked me. Down 14% for the week as the company lowered its fourth-quarter outlook. However, I'd still be a buyer of this name.
- Level 3 Communications (LVLT) was also a disaster. It posted horrible earnings and plummeted, ending the week more than 25% down.
- Rackable Systems (RACK), a midweek rocket stocks addition, beat earnings but traded down 2.5%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV