Netgear (NTGR) beat third-quarter targets and raised guidance for the fourth quarter.
The Santa Clara, Calif., WiFi networking equipment maker posted an adjusted profit of $16 million, or 44 cents a share. Those numbers compare with pro forma earnings of $11.9 million, or 35 cents a share, a year ago.
Sales for the third quarter were $191.7 million, a 26% increase from the year-ago quarter. Analysts had been expecting earnings of 41 cents on revenue of $181 million, according to Yahoo! Finance.
Netgear competes with rivals like Cisco (CSCO) in sales of wireless computer networking equipment for consumers and small businesses.Looking ahead, the company says it expects fourth-quarter sales of about $197.5. Analysts were expecting Netgear to book about $191 million in sales this quarter. "This was another strong quarter for us," CEO Pat Lo said in a press release. "Broadband penetration continues to increase at a steady pace worldwide among both homes and small businesses. "We believe our competitive edge has helped us gain share in the U.S., while further expanding our leadership" overseas, Lo continued. Netgear shares rose $2.81, or 9%, to $34.30 in after-hours trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV