Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector was mostly pulled lower by the movements of the broad indices Thursday despite positive earnings from a number of tech names.
Data I/O (DAIO), which makes programming systems for electronic-products makers, surged 48% after third-quarter earnings ramped up to $1.6 million, or 18 cents a share, from a penny a share last year. Shares of the Redmond, Wash., company were up $1.93 to $5.95.
Oregon's TriQuint Semiconductor (TQNT) jumped 14.5% to $5.29 on better-than-expected income. The company said its non-GAAP profit climbed 14.9% year over year to $11.8 million, or 8 cents a share, in the third quarter. Analysts were looking for just 6 cents a share.
Montana software maker RightNow Technologies (RNOW) topped revenue estimates and didn't post as wide a third-quarter loss as the Street had expected, losing only 7 cents a share vs. the 11-cent consensus. And Extreme Networks (EXTR), a Californian network-equipment maker, also beat expectations on both top and bottom lines.RightNow shares flew 13.8% higher at $19.18; Extreme was up 45 cents, or 12.4%, to $4.09. But Sturm, Ruger & Co. (RGR) stock was clobbered after the firearms maker lost 3 cents a share in the third quarter against a 4-cent profit last year. Revenue shrank 14.8% year over year to $29.3 million. Shares of the Southport, Conn., company plunged $6.45, or 37.7%, to $10.65.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV