Bristol-Myers Posts Profit Rise
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) delivered a penny beat for the quarter and nudged adjusted guidance up on Thursday but warned of material restructuring charges to come.
The New York-based drugmaker reported GAAP earnings of $848 million, or 43 cents a share, vs. $338 million, or 17 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.
Before items, the company earned $764 million, or 38 cents a share, up from $438 million, or 22 cents a share, in the 2006 period. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial had expected 37 cents a share on revenue of $5.02 billion.
Bristol said net sales increased 22% to $5.1 billion. The company said the increase reflects growth in key and newer products and the adverse impact of generic drug competition that hurt sales in the comparable 2006 quarter.Sales of Plavix increased 99% to $1.25 billion and rose 128% in the U.S. Sales in the year-ago quarter suffered from generic competition. Another sizable sales increase came from the company's Abilify for schizophrenia, acute bipolar mania and bipolar disorder, which rose 34% to $420 million. International sales increased 72% (including a 12% favorable foreign exchange impact) to $91 million. Bristol's revenue for Abilify consists of alliance revenue representing its 65% share of net sales in countries where it copromotes the drug with Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV