EMC Shares Surge
Net income grew 74% to $493 million, or 23 cents a share, in the latest quarter, up from $284 million, or 13 cents a share, a year earlier. That gain includes the sales of a stake in EMC's subsidiary, VMware (VMW), to Cisco Systems (CSCO).
Excluding that transaction and other one-time gains, EMC earned 17 cents a share, matching analysts' consensus forecast, according to Thomson Financial.
Total revenue rose 17% to $3.3 billion, edging past analysts' average estimate.
EMC's storage business, which excludes VMware, generated $2.6 billion in sales, an 8% increase from the same period last year. Sales in North America grew 15% and accounted for about 60% of total revenue. Demand from Europe and Asia largely accounted for a 21% jump in sales outside of North America.In EMC's core data storage appliance business, sales grew at a 9% pace year-to-date, vs. the company's estimate of 6% to 7% for the total market. In an interview, Chief Financial Officer David Goulden said EMC is confident that it's taking market share from competitors. The third quarter was particularly significant for EMC because it gave investors a sense of how well the company's new products are selling. Over the summer, the company updated its storage gear for large businesses as well as for small and medium-sized businesses. Goulden said that strong sales of the company's new mid-range and entry-level hardware, as well as its latest software products, helped offset flat sales of its high-end gear. Gross margins for the storage business increased to 53.1% from 52.7% in the second quarter despite a decrease in price charged per megabyte of storage capacity. Goulden attributed this to more efficient design and manufacturing processes, and a greater contribution to sales from high-margin software. EMC also doubled its stock buyback plans to $2 billion, using a dividend from VMware and proceeds from the Cisco transaction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV