Charges Bash Pulte Bottom Line
Pulte Homes (PHM) swung to a big third-quarter loss as the homebuilder recorded more than $1 billion in impairments and charges tied to the housing slump.
The Bloomfield Hills, Mich., company recorded a loss of $787.9 million, or $3.12 a share, compared with a year-ago profit of $190.2 million, or 74 cents a share.
The results were hit by $1.18 billion in pretax charges from land impairments, land-related charges and goodwill impairment.
Most builders have been recording such charges since the housing slowdown forced them to slash prices on homes. As a result, they have to mark down the value of land and housing inventory on their balance sheets to reflect that the inventory is no longer profitable.
(CTX), for one, also had nearly $1 billion in charges in its
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV