BUD Toasts Earnings Beat
Shares of top U.S. beermaker Anheuser-Busch (BUD) made modest gains in a turbulent market Wednesday, after topping Wall Street's expectations for third-quarter revenue and profit.
The St. Louis-based brewer of Budweiser beer posted net income of $707 million, or 95 cents a share, vs. $638 million, or 82 cents a share, in the year-ago period. The company reported net sales of $4.62 billion, vs. $4.28 billion a year ago.
Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 92 cents a share on revenue of $4.51 billion.
Anheuser-Busch reported strong sales both in the U.S. and abroad. Domestic beer sales grew 6.7%, due to beer sale volume growth of 2% and a 3.1% increase in revenue per barrel, thanks to a price increase and "favorable brand mix," the company said. International sales leaped 16%, thanks to strong sales in China, Mexico and Canada.Shares closed up 32 cents, or 0.6%, to $51.87. The strong results come amid challenging times for brewers, who face rising commodity costs and an increasingly fragmented marketplace with the rise of microbrews. Anheuser-Busch also faces stiffer U.S. competition from a strengthened competitor, as rivals MolsonCoors Brewing (TAP) and SABMiller PLC (SBMRY) earlier this month announced plans to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV