BUD Toasts Earnings Beat
Shares of top U.S. beermaker Anheuser-Busch (BUD) made modest gains in a turbulent market Wednesday, after topping Wall Street's expectations for third-quarter revenue and profit.
The St. Louis-based brewer of Budweiser beer posted net income of $707 million, or 95 cents a share, vs. $638 million, or 82 cents a share, in the year-ago period. The company reported net sales of $4.62 billion, vs. $4.28 billion a year ago.
Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of 92 cents a share on revenue of $4.51 billion.
Anheuser-Busch reported strong sales both in the U.S. and abroad. Domestic beer sales grew 6.7%, due to beer sale volume growth of 2% and a 3.1% increase in revenue per barrel, thanks to a price increase and "favorable brand mix," the company said. International sales leaped 16%, thanks to strong sales in China, Mexico and Canada.Shares closed up 32 cents, or 0.6%, to $51.87. The strong results come amid challenging times for brewers, who face rising commodity costs and an increasingly fragmented marketplace with the rise of microbrews. Anheuser-Busch also faces stiffer U.S. competition from a strengthened competitor, as rivals MolsonCoors Brewing (TAP) and SABMiller PLC (SBMRY) earlier this month announced plans to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV