Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
AMIS also reported third-quarter revenue of $154.6 million, which comes in a hair below the $155.7 million average target. Shares were falling $1.31 to $8.31.
Elsewhere, Charles & Colvard (CTHR), a Morrisville, N.C.-based moissanite-jewels manufacturer, surrendered 24.1% to $2.90 after its third-quarter profit took an 88.9% slide from last year to $246,000, or a penny a share. Revenue was off 45.7% year over year to $6.6 million. Analysts were seeking 7 cents a share on sales of $10.5 million.
Charles & Colvard also shaved down its full-year sales guidance by at least $2 million to between $30 million and $33 million against the $36.1 million consensus.
On the other hand, Minneapolis-based Appliance Recycling Centers of America (ARCI) surged 32.7% after its third-quarter profit soared to $1.4 million, or 31 cents a share, from last year's break-even earnings of $21,000. That powers past the sole analyst's estimate for 17 cents a share. Appliance Recycline stock was changing hands at $10.34.Also riding high on positive quarterly results was California's Iteris (ITI), a maker of outdoor machine-vision systems and sensors. Shares vaulted 24.7% to $3.18 after fiscal second-quarter income tripled from last year to 6 cents a share, or $2.2 million, ahead of the only estimate for 2 cents a share. The company's $17 million revenue was in line. Management-software company Phase Forward (PFWD), of Waltham, Mass., beat on both top and bottom lines with third-quarter non-GAAP earnings of 16 cents a share on sales of $34.9 million. Shares jumped $3.34, or 17%, to $22.94. Finally, Chuck E. Cheese's operator CEC Entertainment (CEC) ramped up 13.5% to $29.01 after a slipping third-quarter profit of 50 cents a share that nonetheless surpassed the 48-cent average projection. More broadly, however, the Russell 2000 sank 1.1% to 809.29 and the S&P SmallCap 600 gave up 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV