Money Doesn't Count for Much in Baseball
And more than half of all series, 53%, were won by the teams with the lower payrolls. More than half.
In many of these cases the teams were within reach of each other. But at other times they weren't. Think of 2003, when the $49 million Florida Marlins beat the $83 million Giants, the $80 million Cubs and the $153 million Yankees to win the title.
Or just this month, when the $62 million Cleveland Indians beat a Yankees team with a payroll three times bigger, before taking the $143 million Red Sox team to seven games. Meanwhile, the $53 million Diamondbacks beat a Cubs team with twice its payroll, while the $54 million Rockies were beating the $89 million Phillies.
In 2006 the $83 million Tigers made it to the World Series by beating the $195 million Yankees. The year before, the $98 million Angels knocked out the $208 million Yankees while the $75 million White Sox knocked out the $124 million Red Sox.Back in 2002, the Angels had half the payroll of the $126 million Yankees but beat them anyway, while the $75 million Cardinals beat the $103 million Diamondbacks. In the previous year the Yankees had outspent the Oakland A's by an incredible $112 million to $34 million, or more than three to one, but only edged past them 3 to 2 in the division series.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV