Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks, as a group, struggled to find their footing Tuesday amid mixed news from a variety of sectors.
Waste Industries USA (WWIN) ranked among the biggest price gainers overall, soaring 28.9% after an investor group led by founder-and-Chairman Lonnie Poole and CEO Jim Perry offered to take it private for $36.75 a share in cash. The group already owns about 51% of the company. Shares of the Raleigh, N.C., waste-services company vaulted $7.36 to $35.83.
Columbus McKinnon (CMCO), an Amherst, N.Y., construction-equipment maker, leapt 17.8% to $30.30 after pro-forma income hiked up 22.7% to 54 cents a share, or $10.4 million, in the fiscal second quarter. That easily tops Wall Street's consensus for 47 cents a share, per Thomson Financial.
Arizona's JDA Software (JDAS), meanwhile, doubled its non-GAAP third-quarter earnings to 40 cents a share from last year and careened past Wall Street's 29-cent views. The management-software firm also brought in higher-than-expected revenue of $93.7 million. Shares ratcheted up $2.52, or 11.8%, to $23.80.JDA Software's gains lent support to the S&P SmallCap 600, and all of the above names helped give legs to the Russell 2000. Both trackers recently added around 0.5% after straddling the flat line for much of the day. In initial public offerings, China-based jewelry designer Fuqi International (FUQI) surged 25.4% after pricing some 7 million shares at $9 each, along with an underwriters' option for another 1.1 million shares to cover any overallotments. Shares were trading at $11.29.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV