Lockheed Beats, Boosts Targets
Lockheed Martin (LMT), continuing to benefit from strong demand for defense-related products, posted a 22% jump in third-quarter earnings and again lifted its forecast for the year.
The Bethesda, Md., aerospace and defense giant reported third-quarter earnings of $766 million, or $1.80 a share, up from $629 million, or $1.46 a share, a year earlier.
Sales rose to $11.1 billion from $9.61 billion the prior year.
The results handily beat analysts' targets for earnings of $1.64 a share and sales of $10.38 billion, based on estimates from Thomson Financial.The earnings climb came amid double-digit sales growth in each of Lockheed's segments. Its information systems and global services division saw the biggest growth, with sales rising 24% to $2.71 billion. For 2007, Lockheed now expects earnings of $6.70 to $6.85 a share. The company has already lifted its 2007 profit forecast several times since last year, most recently projecting earnings of $6.65 to $6.80 a share. Lockheed attributed the latest higher forecast to a reduction in unallocated expenses. The company maintained its full-year sales projection of $41 billion to $41.75 billion. Analysts, on average, anticipate full-year earnings of $6.87 a share and sales of $41.69 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV