How Banks Make Money
When the goldsmiths realized that they could lend out more receipts than the gold they were actually storing, fractional reserve banking was born. As long as the goldsmiths kept enough gold to redeem those receipts that were presented for payment, the system worked.
The Federal Reserve Act of 1913Fast forward to 1913. In this year, the Federal Reserve Act was passed, which created the central banking system and the Federal Reserve note as a single paper currency in the United States. The Federal Reserve Act established parameters for the reserve requirements for U.S. banks.
You can learn more about fractional reserve banking and the Federal Reserve by visiting the links at the end of the transcript for this episode.
Cha-ching! That's all for now, courtesy of Money Girl, your guide to a richer life.As always, everyone's situation is different, so be sure to consult a tax or financial advisor before making important financial decisions. This podcast is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for seeking personalized, professional advice. Related links:
The Federal Reserve Act of 1913
The Money Masters
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV