Schering-Plough Misses the Mark
Schering-Plough (SGP) slid 12% after reporting an earnings miss Monday.
The drugmaker said it earned $713 million, or 45 cents a share on a GAAP basis, compared with $287 million, or 19 cents a share, in the third quarter of 2007. (The GAAP number includes a gain for acquisition-related items, including a gain on a currency option and a charge of $20 million for an upfront licensing payment.)
Excluding acquisition-related items and an upfront R&D payment, the company said it earned 28 cents a share for the quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial were expecting 30 cents a share on revenue of $2.87 million.
Global net sales increased 9% on a GAAP basis and 12% on an adjusted basis to $2.8 billion and $3.5 billion, respectively.Worldwide cholesterol joint-venture net sales totaled $1.3 billion, a 26% increase from $1 billion in the year-ago quarter. Schering-Plough recorded $506 million in equity income from its cholesterol joint venture with Merck (MRK) in the 2007 third quarter vs. $390 million in the third quarter of 2006. Global sales of Remicade, a treatment for inflammatory diseases, increased 34% to $426 million in the third quarter of 2007. Sales of inhaled allergy treatment Nasonex increased 10% to $242 million due to increased sales in international markets. Sales of antihistamine Clarinex were flat, and sales of Claritin increased 12% to $83 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV