Costs Worsen Cat's Wounds
Updated from 11:49 a.m. EDT
Caterpillar's (CAT) troubles are about more than gloom in the U.S. economy.
The construction-equipment maker disappointed Wall Street Friday with its third-quarter profit report and domestic economic outlook, even as strong demand from overseas markets continued to fuel the company's growth.
But while developing economies like China and India are carrying the day for many multinational corporations amid the U.S. housing slump, analysts say Caterpillar is having problems with its supply chain that its competitors are not."Caterpillar is burdened with high expansion costs and supply chain problems," says Alexander Blanton, an analyst with Ingalls & Snyder. "They should have anticipated this years ago. Caterpillar could have done better in terms of anticipating the supply crunch. It's costing them money and hurting their margins." For the third quarter, Cat earned $927 million, or $1.40 a share, up from last year's $769 million, or $1.14 a share. Analysts, however, were looking for earnings per share of $1.43 in the most recent period. The report marked the second profit miss in a row for Caterpillar. In July, the company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV