Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Accelr8 shares rocketed 48% after the Denver-based company received a notice of allowance on a patent covering methods used in its BACcel rapid diagnostic platform, which quickly identifies major multiple drug resistant bacteria, or "superbugs." That means the patent -- Accelr8's first for that system -- is close to being issued. Shares were up $1.18 to $3.64.
Fonar, a medical-equipment maker based in Melville, N.Y., soared 24.5% to $7.32 after Health Diagnostics ordered six of its Fonar Upright Multi-Position magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Terms weren't disclosed.
Elsewhere, WSI Industries (WSCI) upped the fiscal 2008 sales forecast for its developing-energy business to between $10 million and $11 million from the prior range of $6 million to $8 million. Shares of the Monticello, Minn., company vaulted $1.58, or 30.6%, to $6.75.And Sharper Image (SHRP) board Chairman Jerry Levin upped his holdings in the company by two-thirds to 250,000 shares as CEO Steven Lightman picked up about another 89,000 shares for a total of some 239,000. Three VPs and another board member also recently bought up Sharper Image stock, as disclosed in regulatory filings last night. The San Francisco specialty retailer flew 45.5% higher at $2.72, recovering from some of last week's losses after a court rejected a class-action lawsuit settlement regarding one of its products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV