Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks along with the major indices generally turned negative in the afternoon to erase early gains, and among the biggest decliners was Exact Sciences (EXAS).
Shares plummeted 24.3% after the Food and Drug Administration told the Marlborough, Mass., company that its DNA technology for colorectal cancer screening, PreGen-Plus, is a medical device that needs premarket regulatory approval. Shares were down $1.46 to $4.56.
Spectrum Brands (SPC) sank 15.9% to $4.08 after the Atlanta-based maker of Rayovac batteries and other products postponed its sale of what it had called in August an "attractive strategic asset." The company cited "recent challenging conditions in the credit markets."
Massachusetts semiconductor equipment maker Axcelis Technologies (ACLS) dropped as well, after saying it will probably take a third-quarter loss of 8 cents a share, including a 5-cent goodwill-impairment charge related to ceasing future product development in rapid thermal processing and curing. Previous guidance called for a 2-cent profit.Revenue is also now pegged "slightly below" the previous range of $110 million to $120 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial are looking for a 3 cent per-share profit, excluding special items, on $115.7 million in revenue. Shares were off 24 cents, or 4.9%, at $4.70. The Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600, which track both Spectrum and Axcelis, recently fell 0.3% to 821.79 and 0.1% to 428.48, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV