Wednesdays' ETF Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:55 p.m. EDT with new stock prices
Exchange-traded funds tracking Asian stocks were the best performers of Thursday's session, as several holdings rallied during U.S. trading.
Earlier, a 9% drop on the Bombay Sensitive Index, or Sensex, pressured Asian markets before recovering near the end of the trading session.
Several Asia-related stocks snapped higher during the trading day in the U.S. after Asian markets closed. Recently, Aluminum Corp. of China (ACH), PetroChina (PTR) and China Life Insurance (LFC) all jumped more than 10%.The SPDR S&P China (GXC) was up $10.09, or 9.83%, to $112.69. The iShares FTSE/Xinhau China 25 Index (FXI) was rising $19.16, or 9.63%, to $218.20. The PowerShares Golden Dragon Halter USX China (PGJ) was gaining $2.87, or 8.03%, to $38.61. The SPDR S&P Emerging Asia Pacific (GMF) added $ 3.79, or 4.05%, to $97.26. ETFs tracking the chip sector were also gaining ground after Intel (INTC) handily beat third-quarter estimates and raised its outlook for the year. The Ultra Semiconductor ProShares (USD) rose $4.41, or 5.13%, to $90.39. The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) was up 35 cents, or 1.89%, to $18.86. The iShares S&P GSTI Semiconductor (IGW) advanced $1.29, or 1.92%, to $68.51. Elsewhere, an earnings beat by Yahoo! (YHOO) boosted the Internet HOLDRs (HHH), which was rising $2.22, or 3.43%, to $67.00. On the other hand, real estate-related ETFs were among the worst decliners. Among individual names, Equity Residential (EQR), General Growth Properties (GGP) and Kimco Realty (KIM) slid around 1%. The First Trust S&P REIT (FRI) ETF was losing 52 cents, or 2.72%, to $18.59. The Ultra Real Estate ProShares (URE) was down 27 cents, or 0.57%, to $46.94. The Dow Jones Wilshire REIT (RWR) ETF was off 27 cents, or 0.33%, to $81.42.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV