MGIC Losses Mash Mortgage Sector
MGIC Investment (MTG) plunged 11% after the mortgage insurer reported a big third-quarter loss and said it doesn't expect to return to profitability in the fourth quarter or 2008.
The comments spurred a ratings downgrade and sent shares across the mortgage insurance sector tumbling. Shares in Radian (RDN), MGIC's partner in a merger that failed to close earlier this year, fell 11%, while MGIC and Triad Guaranty (TGIC) each fell 10% and PMI (PMI) slid 8%.
For the three months ended Sept. 30, Milwaukee-based MGIC reported a loss of $372.5 million, or $4.60 a share, compared to a profit of $130 million, or $1.55 a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had expected MGIC to earn 61 cents a share in the quarter.
MGIC attributed the loss to an after-tax writedown of $303 million from an impairment on its equity investment in Credit-Based Asset Servicing and Securitization, or C-Bass. C-Bass is a joint venture with Radian that invested in subprime mortgages. But the business swooned as the housing downturn worsened this summer and investors shunned mortgage-backed securities.The company also recorded $11.3 million in pretax expenses over its failed merger with Radian, which was terminated in September, due to a decline in business and the C-Bass writedown. Offsetting the charges was a $106 million gain from MGIC's sale of a portion of its stake in a debt-recovery firm during the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV