Delta Forms Venture With Air France
By 2010, the venture will expand to include all trans-Atlantic flights by both carriers, plus Los Angeles-Tahiti flights. Beyond a baseline formula, profits will be split equally.
In key ways, the joint venture resembles the 14-year-old alliance between KLM and Northwest (NWA). In both cases, antitrust immunity allows carriers to discuss fares, schedules and marketing. In 2004, Air France acquired KLM.
KLM and Northwest "have had incredible success," Hauenstein said. "But if
The venture enhances de Gaulle's potential as an alternative to congested Heathrow, where airline growth is severely limited. While Heathrow is a magnet for London business traffic, "we can take traffic that would flow through other hubs including Heathrow and move that onto Delta/Air France," Hauenstein said.This summer, Air France, KLM, Delta, Northwest and two other partners filed with the Transportation Department for shared immunity. Looking ahead, Delta said, approval could lead to a four-way joint venture agreement and, ultimately, the integration of trans-Atlantic operations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV