FDA Issues Alert on Amylin's Byetta
The Food and Drug Administration warned Tuesday that Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN) Byetta, a type II diabetes drug, may be associated with cases of acute pancreatitis.
The agency issued an alert, saying that it's received 30 postmarketing reports of acute parncreatitis in patients taking Byetta, and that health care professionals should instruct patients taking the injection to seek prompt medical care if they experience symptoms such as unexplained persistent severe abdominal pain and possibly vomiting, and immediately discontinue the drug if the condition is suspected.
The FDA said Amylin has agreed to include information about acute pancreatitis in the precautions section of the product label. The San Diego-based company has a collaboration agreement with Eli Lilly (LLY) and Alkermes (ALKS) to develop a sustained release version of Byetta.
Amlyin, which reports third-quarter earnings Wednesday, was falling $2.44, or 4.9%, to $45.50 in recent trading Tuesday; Eli Lilly was down 73 cents, or 1.3%, at $57.22; and Alkermes fell 64 cents, or 3.6%, to $16.85.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV