Asia: China Rallies Alone
The Chinese gains have defied most analysts this week as they expected China's 17th Party Congress to destabilize domestic trading. But the Congress is focused on the agricultural market, environmental issues, financial markets and corruption this year, says ABN Amro's Boutet.
"Analysts forecasts on China are always bad. They always underestimate the growth for the companies and run after it," says Boutet. "In '06 they were expecting 5% growth for earnings. Finally the companies came out with 30% growth. They were expecting 10% this year, but Hong Kong listed companies published 32%, and Chinese 'A' shares published 70% for the first half of 2007."
Another example can be found in U.S.-traded ETFs, where the iShares MSCI Emerging Market (EEM), iShares Hong Kong (EWH) and the iShares/FTSE Xinhua (FXI) have grown much faster than analysts' forecasts this year.
"Valuations are becoming a bit stretched, but we know that analysts are lagging the growth. As a fund manager, I cannot close my eyes anymore on this aspect," she adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV