Monday's Health Winners & Losers
Health indices were generally flat Monday, but biotech stocks faced turbulence as takeover talk, study results, product problems and regulatory actions sent certain names all over the map.
(BIIB) 18.8% to $82.51 Monday after the company announced post-close Friday that third parties -- including famed investor Carl Icahn -- had expressed
Biogen's Tysabri partner Elan (ELN) gained ground Monday as well. The company, which has a 50% interest in the MS drug (which is also being reviewed for Crohn's disease), hired Lehman Brothers to advise on its options if Biogen is acquired by a third party. Elan said that under the terms of its agreement, it can acquire for fair value Biogen's 50% economic interest, sell its 50% interest, continue with the existing agreement or restructure the agreement in conjunction with a potential acquisition.
Elan rose $1.82, or 8%, to $24.17. Also, as if there weren't news enough, Biogen and Elan also said Monday that the Food and Drug Administration will take an
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV