Will U.S. Carriers Follow Air Canada?
Since the 2005 spinoff, he wrote, Aeroplan has outperformed North American airlines, as its market capitalization has doubled to about $4 billion.
Industry experts say there is little reason to think Air Canada's strategy would make sense in the U.S. "The U.S., though a much bigger market, is also a much more competitive market," says Calyon Securities analyst Ray Neidl. "Also, separating the frequent-flier plan could remove
Air Canada has been a harbinger of the future in some respects. It was early into bankruptcy following the Sept. 11 attacks, filing in 2003 and emerging in 2004. Then the spinoffs began.
Although Air Canada now trades around C$15, consultant Mike Boyd says the carrier is building a strong franchise. "Air Canada understands its global role," he says. "It understands that the future is not flying Ottawa to Calgary -- there is no real domestic growth in Canada -- but in flying people through Canada on routes like Latin America to Asia, the No. 1 growth market."But Boyd says the Aeroplan spinoff has little relevance to the U.S. No U.S. frequent flier program approaches Aeroplan in its market position as Canada's strongest loyalty program, he says, so a spinoff "would not bring what people think it will."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV