Dollar Has Another Down Day
The greenback continued falling against the major currencies Monday amid expectations that foreign central banks would raise the cost of borrowing while the Federal Reserve is predicted to hold firm or cut again.
Dollars were trading for 117.3 Japanese yen, down from 117.62 yen in the prior session. Euros were selling for $1.4228, up from $1.4178 late Friday. The British pound was buying $2.042, up from $2.034 previously.
"The dollar remains out of favor with expectations that the European Central Bank and other central banks will be raising interest rates," says Michael Woolfolk, senior currency strategist at Bank of New York Mellon. That will make returns from holding dollars less attractive relative to owning assets denominated in higher yielding currencies.
Woolfolk also says there has been something of a resumption of the so-called carry trade, whereby traders sell the Japanese yen and use the funds to invest in other currencies."The yen seems to be in a race with the dollar for the bottom of the league tables among the major currencies," he says. Notably the dollar and the yen have both fallen relative to the euro over the past month, with the yen depreciating faster than the greenback. "We are seeing the return of risk tolerance, which has led investors to take out even more yen loans to invest in higher yielding currencies, as well as commodities," he adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV