Monday's ETF Winners & Losers
Updated from 12:17 p.m. EDT with new stock prices.
Energy-related exchange-traded funds were the best performers of Monday's session, as oil prices rose past $85 a barrel for the first time ever.
Crude has already been hovering around its all-time high, and news of tensions between Turkey and Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq has been supporting prices in recent days. Oil was jumping $1.45 to $85.14 a barrel.
The Ultra Oil & Gas ProShares (DIG) added $2.65, or 2.26%, to $119.97. The United States Oil (USO) was gaining $1.93, or 2.98%, to $65.93. The iPath S&P GSCI Crude Oil Index (OIL) was up $1.41, or 2.98%, to $48.77.The United States Natural Gas (UNG) ETF was also advancing as natural gas prices jumped 35 cents to $7.32 per million British thermal units. Recently, the ETF was up $2.54, or 6.52%, to $41.45. Not surprisingly, homebuilders were among the worst decliners to start the week. Among individual names, Hovnanian (HOV), Toll Brothers (TOL), Beazer Homes (BZH), Ryland (RYL), D.R. Horton (DHI) and Standard Pacific (SPF) dropped at least 2.5% each. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB) was losing 81 cents, or 3.52%, to $22.18. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) slid 87 cents, or 4.01%, to $20.85. Bundled securities tracking financials were also under pressure following a weak earnings report from Citigroup (C). Despite tempering expectations two weeks ago with an earnings preannouncement, Citi was still a drag on the financial sector after it said third-quarter earnings were down 57% from a year ago. Shares of Citi were down 3.41%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV