Friday's Health Winners & Losers
Health indices were relatively flat ahead of the weekend -- downgrades and a regulatory investigation suppressed some stocks while business updates fluffed up others.
For a second day, shares of NPS Pharmaceuticals (NPSP) were on the decline. The company on Thursday reported disappointing results for its short bowel syndrome drug Gattex. Two analysts subsequently downgraded NPS on Friday.
Jefferies analyst Adam Walsh reduced his rating to hold from buy, and reduced his price target to $4.50 from $7. Oppenheimer analyst Jack Hu downgraded the stock to neutral from buy and reduced his price target to $6 from $12. NPS fell another 3.8% to $4.05 on Friday.
Then, a Bear Stearns analyst downgraded Momenta Pharmaceuticals (MNTA) to underperform from peer perform. In light of a new Food and Drug Administration policy, the analyst said the launch of the company's drug candidate M-enoxaparin could be delayed until mid-2008. Momenta gave up 71 cents, or 5.4%, to $12.39.Momenta and NPS are both components of the Nasdaq biotechnology index, which was up nearly 1% at 895.51. Also before the weekend, Stryker (SYK), Zimmer Holdings (ZMH), Smith & Nephew (SNN) and Medtronic (MDT) said Friday that the Securities and Exchange Commission is conducting an informal inquiry into possible company violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which outlaws bribing foreign officials to obtain or retain business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV