This Week's ETF Winners & Losers
Exchange-traded funds tracking Internet and software stocks were the biggest winners of the week, rising on the back of M&A activity in the software sector.
The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) jumped 12% over the five sessions to $5.85. The First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index (FDN) added 3.9% to $27.94. The iShares S&P GSTI Software (IGV) ETF ended up 3.9% at $53.31.
ETFs tracking Asia's markets were also among the top winners of the week thanks to big gains overseas. Over the five sessions, Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 4.6%, and Japan's Nikkei climbed 1.6%.The iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI) advanced 5.5% to $202.20. The SPDR S&P China (GXC) ETF added 5.2% to close at $103.81. The PowerShares Golden Dragon Halter USX China (PGJ) gained 3.4% to $35.78. On the other hand, homebuilding and construction-related ETFs were among the worst performers of the week as several builders suffered from an analyst downgrade. Wachovia lowered its 2007 and 2008 earnings estimates for 13 companies in the group, noting escalating cancellation rates and ineffective promotions. Among those cut were Centex (CTX), Beazer Homes (BZH), Lennar (LEN), Toll Brothers (TOL), Hovnanian (HOV) and D.R. Horton (DHI). For the week, the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) ETF sank 4.7% to $21.72. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB) ETF shed 2% to $22.90.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV