Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
The small-cap sector trended higher Friday along with the broad indices, and Rogers (ROG) ranked among the winners.
The Connecticut-based company, which makes products for original equipment manufacturers, padded its third-quarter earnings guidance by at least 9 cents to between 44 cents and 48 cents a share (excluding any restructuring adjustments). Sales are now set at least $12 million higher to between $109 million and $110 million.
Two analysts polled by Thomson Financial are seeking 35 cents a share; one has revenue at $97 million. Rogers shares jumped 10.2% to $46.60 in support of both the Russell 2000 and the S&P SmallCap 600, which rose 0.8% to 841.23 and 0.6% to 438.43, respectively.
Hong Kong's Global-Tech Appliances (GAI) surged 14.4% to $4.68 after saying fiscal first-quarter sales should gain some 15% sequentially to around $15.5 million, including a doubling of revenue from its complementary metal oxide semiconductor camera modules. The company also expects to report a "modest" quarterly loss.On the flipside, specialty retailer Sharper Image (SHRP) slid 19.6% after a U.S. District Court in Florida rejected the settlement it had reached earlier this year in a class-action lawsuit regarding the effectiveness of its Ionic Breeze air purifier. Shares of the San Francisco-based company were trading at $2.65. Tousa (TOA) also saw a steep, heavily-traded drop below the $1 mark after a Wachovia analyst cut earnings estimates for 13 of its fellow homebuilders for 2007 and 2008, citing industrywide concerns. Florida-based Tousa suffered along with much of the housing sector, lately losing 20.2% to 91 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV