Force Protection's Wild Ride
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Force Protection (FRPT) is on a roll lately.
Shares have risen almost 50% over the last month as the Ladson, S.C., manufacturer vies for lucrative orders under the government's armored vehicle contract. But given the competition from deep-pocketed rivals such as Navistar (NAVZ) and British-based BAE Systems, even Force Protection fans have been bracing for a wild ride.
"Based on the fluidity of the Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle program, we continue to believe that FRPT will be one of the most volatile stocks in the defense industry over the next several quarters," Friedman Billings Ramsey analyst Patrick McCarthy cautioned earlier this month in raising his rating to outperform from market perform. "We expect the news flow to be significantly positive in the near-term, however."
Indeed, even bad news has been positive for Force Protection and its foes of late. They surmounted a potential roadblock in Congress late last week.On the face of it, the news was bad for the armored car makers. Sen. Joseph Biden -- one of MRAP's biggest supporters -- withdrew his request for $23.6 billion in additional funding for 23,000 MRAP vehicles like those made by Force Protection. Biden dropped the request after fellow senators questioned whether manufacturers could even produce so many vehicles. But tellingly, the senators opposing Biden's measure also made clear they would support a request for additional MRAP funds when they deem them necessary.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV