Thursday's Health Winners & Losers
Cortex has inactivated but hasn't formerly withdrawn the IND while it reviews the FDA response but said any resubmission for ADHD is unlikely. The company is also studying CX717 for acute treatment of respiratory depression and for Alzheimer's Disease. Cortex noted that an acute indication requiring a lower dose or an indication with a different risk/benefit profile would be a better fit for the drug. Shares tumbled $1.14, or 63%, to 66 cents.
On the rising side, Novacea (NOVC) edged up 11 cents, or 1.7%, to $8.60, after initiating a phase II, 56-patient trial for banoxantrone, an investigational anti-cancer prodrug in patients with relapsed or refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), a type of cancer that starts with white blood cells in the bone marrow.
The primary efficacy objective is the response rate over three cycles of the drug, and the secondary efficacy objectives are duration of response and overall survival. The study will also evaluate safety and tolerability.
Also, Momenta (MNTA) climbed after disclosing top-line results from a phase I study and announcing that it treated the first patient in its phase II study (called the Eminence trial) on the IV formulation of its blood thinner M118. The study is designed to treat patients with stable coronary artery disease who are undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). Shares rose 63 cents, or 5%, to $13.08.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV