GM, Ford Burn Rubber
Given the weakness in its business and its position as the last of Detroit's Big Three automakers at the negotiating table, Ford is expected to be the UAW's toughest bargaining partner.
E.K. Riley Investments analyst Robert Toomey says he is "vastly more optimistic" on GM and Ford now that labor negotiations are winding down.
"We're seeing that labor understands the seriousness of the problem for these companies," says Toomey, who discloses that he owns shares of GM. "Their long-term prospects are improved significantly by getting out from under the retiree health care liabilties."
Warnsman, whose firm has recently had a banking relationship with GM and Ford, is more skeptical."These negotiations are not a huge win for these companies," he says. "In a turnaround, you need cash, and these labor agreements promise to squeeze a lot of cash out of GM and Ford. You're essentially taking unfunded liabilities and forcing them to fund them, and that reduces their flexibility. "They're moving in the right direction, but they're not moving fast enough, and if we're heading towards an economic downturn with this mess in the housing market, that could be very tough for these automakers," he adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV