U.S. Dollar Loses Ground
The Australian dollar was trading near record highs Tuesday as strong prices for materials and the possibility of a rate hike Down Under buoyed the currency.
One Australian dollar would buy 89.76 U.S. cents, up from 89.25 cents late Monday. The currency hit a peak of 90.2 cents midway through the Monday session before retreating.
The last time the Aussie dollar was this strong was back in 1989. The CurrencyShares Australian Dollar Trust (FXA) exchange-traded fund, which tracks the value of the Australian currency, was recently rising 0.7%.
The currency has been strong due to the high price of commodities, which has boosted exports from the resource-rich economy, explains Meg Browne, senior currency strategist at Brown Brothers Harriman in New York.The country's proximity to China, which needs vast quantities of metals and other mined materials to fuel economic growth, has been an added advantage. And there is also the possibility that the Australian government may increase the cost of borrowing, making the currency more attractive to foreign exchange investors, she says. In other currencies, the U.S. dollar was selling for 116.89 Japanese yen, down from 117.41 yen a day earlier. The British pound would buy $2.032, down from $2.0354 previously.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV