Spansion Banks on Old Flash Fading From Memory
SAN FRANCISCO -- Spansion (SPSN) has long lived in the low-rent district of the flash memory market, making chips for applications with limited growth prospects and sex appeal.
Now the chipmaker believes it has the secret sauce to take over the entire flash market.
At first glance, Spansion's announcement Monday of its plans to acquire Israel's Saifun Semiconductors (SFUN) for $368 million is a bit of a head-scratcher: Spansion currently licenses Saifun's technology. So the deal, while saving it money on licensing fees, essentially gives Spansion something it already had.
And Saifun has historically had a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV