Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks generally underperformed the broad indices Monday, but among the many surging small-cap tech names was Vonage (VG).
Trading volume exploded to push the stock up more than 110% after the voice-over Internet protocol (VoIP) company entered into an
United Industrial (UIC) jumped 6.3% to $80.40 after Textron (TXT) agreed to take the maker of aerospace and defense systems out for $81 a share in cash. The roughly $1.1 billion deal should close by year-end. Textron slumped 2.1%.
CIBC World Markets upped Novatel Wireless (NVTL) to sector outperform, pointing to better-than-expected demand, "particularly in Europe," for new USB product Ovation MC950D. Shares of the San Diego wireless equipment maker climbed 88 cents, or 3.4%, to $26.73.CalAmp (CAMP), an Oxnard, Calif., wireless products maker, soared 17.7% to $4.04 on a Ferris Baker Watts upgrade to buy. Elsewhere in tech, China Technology Development (CTDC) vaulted by one-third after the security software firm swung to a continuing operations profit of $415,000, or 3 cents a share, in the first half of 2007. Last year the Hong Kong concern lost a nickel a share. China Tech first filed the results on Friday, but a press release today spurred shares $2.78 higher to $11.14.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV